Wednesday, March 12, 2014

draft for Ms. Hegemen's essay ( p )


The title of the play is “much Ado about Nothing “Which was created by Williams Shakespeare. The play was first played (performed) by the cord chamberlain’s men at barrages’ “The theatre”. The name of the director is Christian Amato. The place we attended to watch this performance was 115 Mac Dougal street New York, NY 10012. We attended this trip March 5th the production company is called TC&CO. I had past experiences on Shakespeare performances from reading Macbeth and another book which I cannot recall the name to. I was able to make a comparison between the plays and how the general idea of the stories has a resemblance yet some differences. I am also reading another play called “Hamlet”.
Macbeth was basically about a king being killed off his thrown by a brother and the mother and the brother become lovers and it is now up to the son whom the ghost of the lost king reveals himself to avenge the death of his father and this is the same genre and theme in Hamlet sop it’s kind of boring. I really enjoyed the dramatic scenes in Macbeth, the suspense , floating knifes in mid air and all that good stuff was very interesting and made a non Shakespeare reader such as myself able to enjoy and understand it. Hamlet in my perspective is too straight forward and boring, because I expecting the father to haunt his brother or something but instead he left all the revenge in the hands of his frail son and said he was going back to hell. It is not fair to me that the king after being killed still has to taste the heat in flames.
            The play “Much Ado about Nothing” is pretty different from all the other Shakespeare experiences I had. This didn’t have any spooky thinks about it was pretty modern and caught my attention. The drama and suspense of it all had me at the edge of my set. It was sometimes very difficult to understand what they were saying because I am not accustomed to the Shakespeare verbal ways. I feel that it would have been better if they had proper English subtitles that let the audiences that were lost know what’s going on in the play. Since it was hard for people in my class to understand and I had the advantage of sitting next to my teacher and ask questions when I was lost caused them to fall lose interest fall asleep or become very disrespectful.
            Being that the whole setting, plot and them of the story was different from the rest caught my attention. I appreciate the fact of them changing things up instead of a having basic literal murder being done and all that extra stuff. They faked a death made him realize his faults. They showed a little bit of everything some betrayal, pain, agony, comedy. It was really good and I’m glad I had an interpreter when I got lost.  The first impression I had of the place when I first walked in was that it was an amateur place. Due to the small squished seats. The stage was too close to the crowd so it didn’t really give us that Broadway experience. The furniture on the stage seemed pretty cheap. In fact everything about the place was cheap even the costumes.  In my opinion if the place was larger and the stage was higher than the seats we would have no choice but, to pay attention. On top of all that if we were able to get Proper English subtitle everything would've gone perfectly.

            But all in all the play was good. The actors/ actresses were terrific. Even though we were on our worst behavior they kept it professional and continue doing what they came to do and complained at the end. I found it a little disrespectful though when one of them told us to stay in school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment